Monday, August 22, 2005

Ahhh

Ahh, well, hello. It’s now Sunday morning, 8:30 actually… If this house had Internet access I could plug in my computer and start chatting on aim. It’s only what, 10:30 p.m. at home?! Haha, oh well.

Well, I suppose the first day of school was really hard for a couple of reasons. One is that, because it was a half-day, the students weren’t really interacting with each other that much unless it was old friends squealing and giggling, etc. I just felt very much like an outsider, like I didn’t belong. But also, it was very strange to be back at school, but not have the school be Head Royce, and not be surrounded by all of my friends. I guess it was a bit of a shock. However, after that first day it got much better: I started meeting more people, and my basically-cousin who also goes to ICS took care of me. Also, it’s very cool that in my Social Anthropology class I was in a group discussing homework with a girl from Holland named Yakamÿn and a boy from Belgium named Pierre. Ahh, to truly be a “woman of the world.”

The person that truly made my week wonderful is Danny. Danny is my brother or cousin or whatever you’d like to call him; he is part of the family that I’ll be staying with. By the way, their names are Haile-Liul, Salam, Betty, Danny, and Menna. Anyway, Danny was listening to the music I have on my iPod and kept saying, “Ohh, you need to give me this!” However, a lot of the good music on my iPod I have gotten from other friends’ computers, and iTunes doesn’t let you automatically put songs from your iPod onto your own computer. I guess it’s to stick to their “buy music, and don’t steal it” philosophy. This has always been frustrating because other friends may want songs (like
Danny in this instance), but I’ll be unable to give them to them. Or I’ll be trying to make a playlist on my computer but certain songs won’t be in my computer library (only on my iPod), so I can’t put them on my playlist. It has just always been a great inconvenience. Little did I know, for a 6th grader, Danny’s a technological genius, especially in comparison to me. Little did I know, Danny’s my savior, and showed me how to put songs from my iPod onto my computer. Ahh, Ethiopia is definitely having its perks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Samraberry,
It is so wonderful to read your words. It helps me feel closer to you, knowing that you're on the other side of the computer screen (well, kind of). You're a beautiful writer, by the by. I need your address so I can send you lots of letters and care packages. I love you forever and ever and ever,
Lilly